The historic Hereford and Gloucester Canal follows an almost entirely rural course for 34 miles through the glorious countryside of Gloucestershire and Herefordshire.
The Herefordshire and Goucestershire Canal Trust aims to complete the entire restoration of the canal from Gloucester to Hereford, to the state it was in prior to its closure in 1881.
The Yarkhill section of the canal being restored by the Trust runs from a point 314 metres west of the A4103, westwards for around 900 metres to the site of the former Barr’s Lock and Cottage. The cottage was demolished many years ago, and no traces now remain. Similarly, no signs of the lock can be seen, although preliminary excavations to try to locate any remains have been started.
For more information on the work of the Herefordshire and Gloucestershire Canal Trust, please visit: http://www.h-g-canal.org.uk.